Types of Income Tax Returns - Which ITR to file

The ITR form that must be submitted varies depending on the type of income, the taxpayer's category

Types of Income Tax Returns - Which ITR to file

What is ITR & How to File Income Tax Return?

Using an income tax return form, you can submit your taxes to the Income Tax Department. Your income tax liability can typically be calculated using a worksheet on your tax return that has parameters that have been set.

Every fiscal year, every individual and corporation is required by Income Tax law to file income taxes. The returns must be filled out whether you have income from a salary, interest, dividends, capital gains, business income or any other sources. More importantly, income tax returns must be filed by the deadline in order to avoid late fees and other penalties. If your income tax return (ITR) shows that you have paid more than your obligation, you can submit an application for a refund of the excess tax.

Various Types of Income Tax Returns (ITR)


You must use this form if your income is a salary or pension. Additionally, if you get income from a rental property or from a source other than lottery winnings or earnings from horse racing, you must submit this ITR form. You eligible if your yearly income exceeds 50 lakh Indian rupees.


For income from sources outside than their place of business or work, people and HUF. Individuals and NRIs who earn money from a job, a home, capital gains, or other sources may file Form ITR-2. AnITR-2 can be filed by salaried individuals who have gained from stock purchases and sales or lost money.


People must disclose any money they get from a business or job. Salary earners who engage in intraday stock exchange or futures and options trading must file Form ITR-3.Individuals can utilize ITR-3 to document their income from a variety of sources, including jobs, real estate, capital gains, businesses, and trades(including presumed income).


A presumptive taxation system is in place for individuals, HUFs, and partnership companies with respect to their income. When a business has a turnover of up to Rs 2 crore and is subject to section 44AD taxation, its revenue is reported using the ITR-4 form. Additionally, ITR-4 is for income from a profession that is subject to section 44ADA taxation and has a turnover of up to Rs 50 lakh. A freelancer who performs work in a notified occupation may submit an ITR-4.


The abbreviations LLP, AOP, and BOI are used to identify alliance corporations. LLPs, partnership corporations, AOPs, and BOIs must submit ITR-5s in order to declare revenue from their businesses and professions as well as a variety of other sources.


Is a tax form used by businesses to report all other sources of income, besides profits from their industry or line of work.


Is the federal tax return used by organizations that are still exempt from paying income tax, such as partnerships, corporations, and trusts.

Types Of Forms To File ITR

Form 16

An employee receives a Form 16 TDS certificate from their employer. The gross Salary / wages is listed on Form 16 together with exemptions like HRA and LTA. The form also includes information on the employee's salary TDS, other reported income or loss that could be used to lower taxes, and net taxable income.

Form 26AS

The tax deducted at source (TDS) on various sources of income, including as wages, loans, and the sale of real estate, is detailed in Form 26AS. Information on self-assessment tax, individual advance tax payments, and declared financial transactions are also included on the form.

Form 15G and Form 15H

Using Form 15G and 15H, you can earn money without paying TDS. You can submit a Form 15G if your basic exemption limit is less than your gross taxable income and you are under the age of 60. You must submit a Form 15H if you are a senior citizen and have no tax due on your net income. You must submit Form 15G or Form 15H to the person who is responsible for paying your taxes.

Types of ITR and who should file the same
Various types of ITR and who can file

About Jordensky

At Jordensky, we specialize in accounting, taxes, MIS, and CFO services for Startups and growing business and are focused on delivering an experience of unparalleled quality. When you work with Jordensky, you get a team of finance experts who take the finance work off your plate – ”so you can focus on yourbusiness.”